This one is my favorite that I have ever done. When I found her in a thrift store she was finished in some kind of brown gel stain I believe, because the grain was barely visible. But the shape and condition were giving me heart palpitations.
She was 50% off, and STILL over my typical furniture budget.
So I went home and talked it over with Bruno. And I couldn’t stop thinking or talking about her even a couple hours later! (Secretly you are impressed with my patience, I know.) And I got kinda panicky-paranoid that someone else had bought her until we got there. And she was unmoved.
I stripped and lightly sanded the drawer fronts which revealed quarter-sawn walnut. I did the same to the top and found that the top slab with the back trim piece was one solid piece! And the dovetails of the drawers were few, long, skinny, and unevenly spaced. And each drawer only fits in it’s own spot. Meaning 1 thing: this was custom made by a carpenter, by hand. Nothing machine-manufactured here. 🙂
The refinishing job was good but not super detail oriented, and the gel stain was used to hide some minor wear marks. I found them charming, so after I sanded the drawer fronts and top slab, I sealed it with Danish Oil in Dark Walnut. It basically brought out the richness of the existing color.
The rest of the body I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Aubusson with a wash of Duck Egg and sanded in some areas to reveal the color underneath and the wood. I then sealed it with clear wax only.
I knew I wanted some white porcelain knobs and these over-sized ones with a brass base from Hobby Lobby were perfect!
I tried a few different ways to stage this one, but I woke up one morning imagining something wirey and circular. It took me a couple hours over the course of a couple days, but I created these AWESOME hanging branch orbs!
Many of you will notice they are reminiscent of the orb light fixtures from Restoration Hardware. That was my inspiration, and while the lazy Rachel only wanted to make 1, it didn’t look right until I made 3: a small, medium, and large. I just used several branches outside and used wire to attach them together until I got the size and look I wanted.
My favorite thing about them is that they were practically free! I used 2 little spools of wire (and a little twine), one of which I already had, so those 3 orbs cost me $1!
So there she is! The first dresser we decided to keep, since I started my Shades of Blue business!
a href=”http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7k6apzvifps/UnAtblopRsI/AAAAAAAABB8/nWY0NqMDAtw/s1600/PA290790.JPG” imageanchor=”1″ style=”margin-left: 1em; margin-right: 1em;”>
Linking Up With: