First of all… we have a winner of the Music Sheet Wreath Giveaway!
Congratulations!!! Please email me with your address and I will get the wreath sent off right away! 🙂
Alright, so I’ve been working on my dining set for over 3 months and I FINALLY finished last week. It’s been a crazy week of projects (noticing a trend here?) and today I finally was able to clean up the dining room and stage it a little. I’m really so proud of this set. It was SO MUCH work and I had a lot of help from my mom (who helped with sanding and staining, and also with helped me sew slipcovers) and of course Bruno, who was actually the one who went and negotiated for the table and transported them home, then who also helped me paint the chairs, and of course watched the kids while I would work on different stages of the whole process. I don’t think I could ever sell this set. It was countless hours and I love it so much, I hope it lasts! Plus there are definitely some imperfections that I’m okay with but I’m not sure someone else would be!
Here it is!
I had fun with the staging, and just put together some items I’ve been collecting, including my grandmother’s china I inherited. It’s not white ironstone that is all too popular, but it IS antique and has great sentimental value to me. That counts for something right? 🙂
I imagined I was setting up for a luncheon with some girlfriends, because they would appreciate beauty and good food. 🙂
That right there is why I could never go Paleo! hehe… But seriously, doesn’t fresh french baguette bread looks so lovely?
Alrighty then, on to the actual furniture. There was sadly only 1 captain’s chair, but even without arms on the other chairs, they still look pretty to me. The cane was broken on several of the backs of the chairs, so I used batting, fabric and trim to make them look a lot fancier. I will be doing a picture tutorial of that project next week, so stay tuned! –UPDATE! TUTORIAL LOCATED HERE.
I painted them all 2 coats of ASCP in Old White and then dark waxed in all the grooves and a little extra towards the bottom part of each of the legs. Then I distressed using 80 grit sandpaper because I wanted to cut right down to the wood and not gently rub it away like what would have happened if I used 120 or higher.
The slip covers were straight out of MMS’s dining chair slipcover tutorial. That is how I got the confidence to tackle the wing chair slip cover that I did! These gets dirty super fast with 3 little ones, but they also clean up really well. I can’t remember if MMS ever said to add an extra closed overlock stitch to all the edges, but I did because drop cloth fabric FRAYS LIKE NO OTHER! And I knew I wouldn’t have a slip cover in 2 or 3 washes if I didn’t.
The top is stained dark walnut and to finish it I used wipe-on poly (3 coats to get it super smooth).
Love the green, don’t you? That awesome preserved Boxwood topiary I found at Home Goods for $25. Seriously a good deal.
Aaaaaaand…. without further ado, may I present to you Miss Spanish Brass and 65 Crystal Chandelier! I am so pumped about this find. I got it at a small resale shop that is only open on Saturdays. It was a way good price but was missing some crystals (like 20) and the bulbs were broken and the candle covers were kinda ugly. The good news was I had just been to a small antique store that had a box full of the EXACT shape and size of crystals that I needed! It was fate I tell you! I sprayed the candle covers and bought new bulbs. To be honest, I convinced Bruno to buy it because I said I would re-sell it on my Etsy shop. But, once we installed it to take pictures and see if everything worked, he fell in love too and now it’s a keeper! :):):)
Also coming this week I’ll show you a funny thing that happened to all of the chairs after I painted them with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White. It kinda made me freak out. Then I decided to work with it. 🙂