Today I’m sharing our family’s favorite chicken salad recipe that includes my grandma’s tangy sweet dressing. It is the perfect fresh side salad for brunch or dinner, but our favorite is to put it inside brioche buns or croissants for a light lunch. It is cool and slightly filling, perfect for the warmer months!
The tangy sweet dressing is what really makes this dish better than any other chicken salad I’ve tasted. It is my grandma’s recipe that she always served with coleslaw, but I decided would be the perfect dressing for chicken salad. I used to make Waldorf Salad all the time because the ingredients were often things I had on hand, but then, years ago I wanted to make a meal of it and add chicken and a few other ingredients. I knew her family famous dressing would be perfect with it. Not too sweet, not too tangy, not too mayonnaise-y… you will love it!
Chicken Salad with Tangy Sweet Dressing
- 1 1/2 c. halved red grapes
- 1 1/2 c. chopped celery
- 1 c. chopped apples
- 3/4 c. dried cranberries
- 1/2 c. chopped almonds or pecans
- 2-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cooked & chopped (seasoned with salt and salt-free Mrs Dash)
Tangy Sweet Dressing
- 1 1/2 c. mayo
- 2-3 Tbsp. white sugar
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice (start with less and add more to your tangy preference)
- 1/3-1/2 c. milk
- Mix together all chopped ingredients in a large bowl. For dressing mix in smaller bowl, whisking together the mayo, sugar, and lemon juice first, then adding milk last. Whisk until completely smooth and no lumps. Pour over chopped ingredients and stir until everything is coated. Serve by itself or inside a brioche bun or croissant for a sandwich.