I did this project actually MONTHS ago. I bought these chairs in early July off of craigslist.
But I was SO pleased with the condition of the cane on these barrel back chairs! Then about a week later I saw on Miss Mustard Seed an awesome deal on Decor Steals for European grain sack inspired fabric! They came in 3 yard shipments, so I got one! It took a couple weeks to get to me, but once the fabric was here I was so excited to get started!
So, I decided to finally bite the bullet and sew new seat covers for this soon-to-be beautiful cane chair!
I removed the seat cushion, took out all the seams and used it as a pattern. I would have been totally nervous and intimidated by this type of project a year ago. But after sewing all the piping and ruffles on the dining chair slipcovers, I figured I could just WORK SLOW and get it pretty good.
I figured, even if they aren’t perfect, someone might love them just the way they are! I remember watching all of Miss Mustard Seed’s sewing videos and she said that she would never take a commissioned upholstery job because it is too much pressure! But if someone wanted to buy something she did, being able to see the little imperfections, then that was okay. I feel totally the same way! She also said lots of other things that gave me encouragement and confidence that I could sew things for my home, because gosh dangit! It is expensive to buy everything new!
Anyhow, with 3 yards I was able to sew 2 seats with piping (I reused the zippers on the old cushions), cover the wooden seat bases that screws into the chair frames (the part of the chair you see when you take off the cushion), AND I still have enough left over for a pillow! It really was a great deal, and I hope they bring that one back!
My favorite part about this fabric, besides the blue stripes, is that they clean up really well! My daughter snuck on to the seat with her dirty feet after just having been outside, and it cleaned right up with a damp white rag!
I think they look fantastic flanked along this big Union Jack mahogany dresser I finished for VMD!